Why Pay More For Organic

What are the biggest challenges the world faces today? Top of your list in 2020 is likely to be the COVID-19 pandemic, and then right after that, it's probably going to be the climate change emergency. 

The earth is struggling to cope with the demands that we have put it under, and as a result, so are the people that live on it. There is a worrying growth in health and wealth inequality across the world, with the WHO reporting that there is 34 years between the life expectancy of the poorest countries and that in the richest countries. A major contributing factor to this is the fact that the richest 1% of people account for 45% of all global wealth, leaving 55% to be shared between the remaining 99% of the worlds population. This inevitably leads to impoverished individuals that struggle to improve the conditions around them and their families.

You are probably thinking that this is totally out of your control, and that the clothes that you buy for you and your children are neither a contributor, nor a solution to the problem, but you may be surprised. The fashion industry is the second biggest polluter in the world, and because we are all consumers of clothes, it's a very accessible way of us all to affect change by voting with our wallets and embracing the reality that a low quality £1 vest that may last two washes is exacerbating our global warming issue and can't be produced in a sustainable or ethical way.

So Why Should You Pay More?

To put it simply - organic kids clothes are made ethically, using businesses that adhere to strict production practices that treat workers fairly and minimise the impact to the environment. These business work hard to maintain certification from trusted organisations such as GOTS, Soil Association and Fairtrade, meaning the clothing you buy from us is certified to be eco and people friendly. Of course, this comes at a cost, because cheap clothes mean standards are cut in favour of the bottom line. Cheap clothes mean sweatshops, dangerous conditions and child labour.

Fair trade has a bold vision: a world in which all producers can enjoy secure and sustainable livelihoods, fulfill their potential and decide on their future.

Their mission is to empower disadvantaged farmers and workers, promote fairer trading conditions and allow producers to combat poverty, strengthen their position and take more control over their lives, by offering the following benefits:

  • Employers are given fair wages, regardless of their gender.
  • Safe working conditions are provided, free from abuse, racism, sexual harassment and exploitation.
  • Workers enjoy benefits that come as standard in developed countries, such as time off and healthcare.
  • Training and education programmes are offered, as well as financial assistance to help workers escape poverty.
  • Trust, transparency, respect and empowerment are at the forefront of Fair Trade employment relationships.

It's easy for us to take these benefits for granted in a developed country, but these working conditions are worlds apart from many alternative workplaces in developing countries, where dangerous and exploitative practices are sadly common place.

By shopping with us, and spending that little bit extra, you can take pride in knowing that you are helping improve the lives of the people that need it most, while also helping to keep our planet healthy. This is because ethical production goes hand-in-hand with sustainable production, and environmentally friendly practices are prioritised throughout production to help make a product that has a lower impact on the environment:

  • Eco-friendly materials are used, such as organic, pesticide-free, non-GMO cotton.
  • Workers and their environment avoid exposure to chemicals, toxins or carcinogens.
  • Sustainable practices are employed to reduce waste and water consumption.
  • Natural energy, such as solar, is prioritised over burning fossil fuels, to help avoid pollution.

You can learn more about fairtrade, ethical and sustainable production by watching the following video:

Complete Our Anonymous Survey!

We'd love to get your opinion on whether you think organic cotton is worth the extra cost - it's totally anonymous! Complete the survey here.

By the way, we're offering 10% off for all of our new customers - a pop-up will display after you have viewed more than 3 pages of our website. Please take a look and enjoy some discount if you like what we have on offer!